Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Multiple Intelligences

After taking the Multiple Intelligences Survey, I learned that my three strongest intelligences are musical, logic/math, and self (intrapersonal).

When doing a little research about strategies that serve musical learners best, it became very obvious that strategies to teach students with musical intelligence did not involve just having students sing a song to remember or learn something. These students like rhythms, patterns, and the sound of language. Musical learners can be reached by strategies that can be incorporated in a variety of subjects, like clapping rhythms or patterns in math class, using choral reading to work on fluency in reading, read and study the lyrics of music from a particular time period in social studies, etc. Another musical strategy is the recommendation to listen to classical music while studying, since research has shown that it improves memory and retention of information, as well as the brain's ability to process information.

Researching strategies to engage multiple intelligences in the classroom made me very aware of how important (and fun!) it is to build instruction to reach all learners in the classroom. I feel like I'd learn just as much from using these strategies with my students as my students would!

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate you taking the time to find strategies that address the musical learning style in a meaningful way!

    ReplyDelete