Friday, March 18, 2011

Power Standard

The power standard and accompanying lesson I found do not relate to my struggling student or a current lesson I'm doing with my students. When I came across the following power standard, however, I automatically thought of some fourth grade students I've had in the library who I know would enjoy a project like this, and also thought it would be perfect in the library, since it deals with banned books.

The Power Standard I found for fourth grade is the following:
Students will research, create and present a persuasive composition including either differences and similarities or advantages and disadvantages, from various informational texts using order of importance, proper sentence structure and word choice, and visuals, and present their position before their peers.

I found this lesson, called "A Case for Reading - Examining Challenged and Banned Books," on ReadWriteThink. It involves students using a variety of tools and resources to compare and contrast books banned by the American Library Association and then writing a persuasive piece explaining what they think should happen with the book (if it should be banned or not). Students then share their work with their classmates, as well as with teachers or librarians in their school, to make it more authentic.

2 comments:

  1. I think students will find this very engaging and even be prompted to read some books that have been banned like Huck Finn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it very engaging just reading through the lesson! I'm basing my WebQuest on this lesson, so hopefully that will make it even more engaging than just having the students write an essay.

    ReplyDelete