Monday, March 7, 2011

Struggling Student

Since I am in the elementary school's library, it's difficult to really 'nail down' one struggling student because I don't see the same students on the days I am in the library (different classes come to the library on Friday afternoons than on Wednesday afternoons). However, through a variety of encounters, when I think of struggling students, I have two particular students who come to mind. One student is a kindergartener, and the other is in second grade. They both have trouble focusing and, because of this, seem to act out or misbehave instead of keeping to themselves.

When I've had the opportunity to work with them one-on-one on projects in the library, reading books, etc., I've recognized a tremendous response from each of them. They seem to be more receptive to one-on-one instruction, or just the attention of knowing that someone cares about them and isn't just yelling at them to behave. (Not that I'm saying anything against the teachers who must sometimes raise their voice at these particular students, because they have to control the whole class somehow.) When I'm not working with these students one-on-one or giving them individualized attention, I can note a distinct difference in their behavior or attitude. This somewhat stresses me out, because I know that I won't always have the opportunity to provide each of my future students with individualized attention and time from me. How will I be able to ensure that they all get the attention and time that they need? It's a little overwhelming.

1 comment:

  1. Great question Kristen! Using stations were many students can work independently can give teachers more time to work one-on-one with students. Finding specific jobs for students to do can give students the sense that they are important and cared about even if the teacher is not working directly with them. You are right though it is difficult to give all the students the attention they need!

    ReplyDelete